You’ll find Material Advantage Chapters at more than 75 top schools of materials science and engineering throughout the world. Through the Material Advantage Program, you can learn and sharpen the skills you need to become a successful engineering professional and a future leader of your society.
For more information on Material Advantage Chapter Operations, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Material Advantage Chapter Benefits
Get involved in your Material Advantage chapter to meet other engineering students and professionals. It’s a great way to make new friends and start forming a network of contacts that can help you throughout your career.
Every newly created Material Advantage Chapter receives a one-time start-up payment of $150. Then every year, active Material Advantage Chapters receive a check in the form of a $5 rebate for each active chapter member. This rebate enables chapters to get involved in more activities and develop stronger technical programs.
As you work through the various levels of chapter management, you gain valuable leadership skills that will help you throughout your career, as a team member, as a professional manager and as a leader of your societies.
Being involved in a Material Advantage chapter means staying up to date on society activities, including scholarships, conferences, workshops, publications and contests.
Awards and Recognition
Chapters can achieve special recognition through two annual programs: Chapters of Excellence Awards and the Membership Challenge.
Perks for Faculty Advisors
Faculty Advisors receive a free year of membership in ACerS, AIST, ASM International, and TMS (if the chapter submits its annual report before the deadline).
Start a New Chapter
To form a new student chapter, follow these steps:
- Seek the support of a faculty member who is an ACerS, AIST, ASM, or TMS member and who will agree to act as the chapter’s faculty advisor.
- Meet to discuss the reasons to form a student chapter.
- Elect an Executive Committee consisting of a Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary and Treasurer.
- Complete and submit the following 5 documents at the same time:
- Chapter Petition Form (Writable PDF to Download) - requires minimum of 15 student member signatures
- This essential document enables the chapter to evaluate its progress and successes
- Primary documentation – the society maintains copies of the report in the chapter’s permanent files
- A chapter is not considered active if the report is not received
- A copy of the report is sent to the chapter in January’s mailing to the faculty advisor
- Reports must be submitted no later than May 15
- Must be submitted with the student chapter annual report
- Should show the slate of new officers for the upcoming year (so that society listings can be updated)
Chapters of Excellence Nomination
- Must be submitted along with the annual report and officer list by May 15, if the chapter wishes to be considered for the Chapters of Excellence Awards
Material Advantage Student Chapter Conversion Petition
- Previous ACerS-only, AIST-only, ASM-only, TMS-only, or Joint Student Chapters that wish to form a Material Advantage Student Chapter need to complete the petition form and apply.